2016 was a fantastic year at Emerald Guitars and we have seen major growth, especially in the area of our custom builds.
Alistair handles most of the custom work personally, but now it’s time to find an assistant to work closely alongside him here at Emerald Guitars in St Johnston on these more creative projects.
Firstly, you don’t have to be a qualified luthier to apply for this job at Emerald Guitars as so much of what we do is completely different to how any other guitar is made.
So what are we looking for:
- A flexible mind, willing to learn new ways and think outside the box.
- An ability to work to a high degree of accuracy and understand that in guitar-making sometimes 0.2mm can be a lot.
- A good set of hands used to making stuff (Lego and Mine Craft do not qualify).
- An ability to use tools; We don’t use CNC machines here and we don’t design on a computer, we use our hands and basic tools in a very hands-on and tactile way to create by touch and sight.
- Someone who is not scared to get their hands dirty. You are working with your hands, they will get dirty, they will get sore and, hey, you may even get a cut or two.
- An understanding that sometimes it takes hours of quite monotonous sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding to create perfection…Yeah, there is quite a lot of sanding in this job.
- An understanding of basic mathematics: We are not solving complex equations, but you will need to know how to calculate what 3 per cent of 400 is without needing a calculator.
- You don’t need to be a guitar player. Some of the greatest guitar makers can’t play, but a basic understanding of the instrument is useful.
- You need to be looking for a long-term career. Alistair will be teaching you everything he has learned over 19 years in the industry. That takes time and Alistair needs to know you will be in it for the long haul.
- You will have your own unique skills to add to ours. We are a collection of artisans who all put our unique skills into our instruments in different ways. Ideally you will have new creative abilities and ideas that can add to what we do here. It’s not all about following how Alistair does it.
- Oh and finally, this role is not only for men, some of the finest luthiers in the world are female.
We have some very exciting projects coming up for 2017 and ahead here at Emerald Guitars. If the above list hasn’t put you off then maybe this is the career for you. And please share this around, it might not be the job for you but you may know the perfect person.
If you are interested then please send a CV or email outlining your skills and history to firstname.lastname@example.org